A visit to Water Haigh in 1956
Woodlesford, Water Haigh Colliery was a relatively new pit. It's two main shafts were sunk 1908 and produced coal for about 60 years before closure in 1970 when it had run out of economically mineable reserves.
Before nationalisation in 1947 it was owned by Henry Briggs, Son and Company Ltd. Throughout its life the coal was carried away on the Aire and Calder Navigation, by railway, and by lorry.