It was on July 14th 1854 when company directors and sinkers gathered together on the site of the new colliery. It was Dr John Moore Bates of Newcastle upon Tyne, who was a company director, who cut the very first sod of the new shaft. With that complete the new shaft took its name from Doctor Bates and became known as the Doctor Pit.
The first washer was constructed in 1885.
1886 saw the first iron tubs arrive at the pit.
In 1913 a sub station was built and completed in 1915. This marked the start of the electrification programme.
1928 saw a new dry spiral coal cleaning plant installed.
By the end of 1932 Bedlington D Colliery became one of the very few collieries in the UK to be 100 % unionised.
The old wooden headgears at the colliery were deemed unsafe by 1930 and replaced with new metal headgears. These however, were built over the top of the existing ones. What made this remarkable was that using this method there was no loss to production at the colliery.
1936 saw the workforce accept new pit-head baths.
1936 also saw the John shaft fitted with a new set of headgears.
The first conveyors were introduced to the mine in 1943.
January 1st 1947 was a day of celebration not only at the Doctor Pit, but all mines in the UK as all mines were Nationalised.
1952 saw the old chimney which had dominated the skyline for many decades demolished.
In 1959 there was a huge set back at the colliery when its reserves in the Denton Low Main and Upper Busty seams were passed to Bedlington A Colliery and Netherton Collieries respectfully.
To be updated at a later date.